Thursday, January 19, 2017

It's Cancer - What to expect

After five doses of the current chemo (Taxol), I'm prepared for what happens to my body in the following days. For example, I know that the day I receive the chemo, I'll have insomnia. Sure enough, I didn't sleep last night, so I finished a book I had been reading. My neighbor, Mary, had recommended books by Katherine Center who writes about love and family. I enjoyed Happiness for Beginners. Come to find out, the author graduated from the University of Houston's creative writing program, which I also attended (albeit I graduated years before her).

Today and tomorrow I'll have tingling in my hands and feet, aches in my joints (mainly in my hips), and some pain in my chest around my injection and tumor sites. I probably won't sleep today, so I have another book ready to read. I don't remember who recommended The Known World to me. Written by Edward P. Jones, this book about slavery won the 2004 Pulitzer Prize. I hope the subject isn't too "heavy" for me to read right now.

Today I'm celebrating love and family. I'm so thankful to have both in my life because they make my cancer treatment, and everything else in my world, so much more tolerable.

1 comment:

  1. Julie, thinking about you... I walked by your place this morning and sent happy thoughts right up to your front door. Glad you have stared with Katherine Centers books. It just what you need right now!

    ReplyDelete