Thursday, January 5, 2017

It's Cancer - Some different side effects

The Paclitaxel (or Taxol) drug I'm receiving now is presenting some different side effects from the other medicine I received during Phase 1 of chemo. I've noticed tingling in my hands, joint and muscle aches, and some pain in my chest around my injection and tumor sites. These are all listed as possible side effects that usually occur on days1-2 after chemo and then go away. For the most part, these are just irritating and not a concern unless I get a fever of 101 degrees or higher. Also, last night I didn't sleep a wink, which fits with insomnia that is listed as a possible side effect.

My red blood cell count continues to be low (causing me to tire easily and become short of breath). Although they haven't occurred so far, the mouth sores and red rash I had during Phase 1 may return. And my nails may become darker and develop white streaks and ridges. I'm happy to report that my white blood cell count is good, as is my liver function and platelet count. I haven't had much nausea. All in all, I'm doing OK. For sure chemo is taking its toll on my body, but it could be much worse. I'm not in bed in the fetal position with severe nausea and stomach cramping as I was for days after chemo during Phase 1.

Today I'm celebrating cold weather. I don't think it's supposed to get above 60 degrees today, and it will be even colder through Sunday or Monday. I love being able to layer up and forego a bra.

No comments:

Post a Comment