Thursday, January 12, 2017

It's Cancer - Asking for help


I read a Facebook post from a young man today who said he was learning to ask for help, but wasn't good at it. He wondered if he was the only one who failed this part of being an adult. Nope! 

It's hard for me to ask for and/or accept help, and I'm well into adulthood. This just isn't something I'm used to doing, but sometimes I need it. For example, I'm not doing well today after yesterday's chemo. Every part of my body aches. Yet when Big Daddy Nick came home from jury duty and asked me if I needed anything, I said no thanks. I would have liked more water and lunch, but I said I didn't need anything. I need to remind myself that accepting help doesn't make me weak or take away my independence. 

Today I'm celebrating the accomplishments of women. On this day in 1932, Ophelia Wyatt Caraway, a Democrat from Arkansas, became the first woman to be elected to the U.S. Senate. She had been appointed to the Senate two months earlier to fill the vacancy left by her late husband, Thaddeus Horatio Caraway. In 1938, she was reelected. 





No comments:

Post a Comment