Wednesday, January 25, 2017

It's Cancer - Chemo Part 2, Halfway

I received my sixth dose of 12 chemo treatments today. I was at MDA at 6:15 a.m. for blood work. (My blood has to be tested and the results must be reviewed and approved before the chemo drugs can be administered.) Today there were technical problems with processing the blood, so chemo was delayed by 2.5 hours. I thought I would be home and resting when the nurses were just beginning chemo.

On Tuesday I had a tender conversation with a long-time acquaintance who thanked me for blogging my journey through cancer. He has had cancer twice, but never felt ready or able to talk about it. He talked to me about my ability to express what is happening to me. Trust me that this is the best compliment you can give a woman who made her living trying to create meaningful communications through written words! I believe my blog helps others understand cancer treatments, or at least the one I'm experiencing. Just as important to me, I know writing about my cancer is helping me, just as journaling is helpful to people who do that.

Today I'm celebrating Mitzie. I was impatient waiting at MDA and poor Mitzie, who was my chemo buddy today, had to peel me off the walls while we waited. I'm not sure that people who haven't had chemo know what it's like to sit and anxiously wait for hours before an appointment or treatment. Or maybe it's just me who has a short fuse when waiting to have chemicals pumped into my body. Thanks (again) to Mitzie for always being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment