Thursday, October 6, 2016

It's Cancer - Two traumatic days are over

Tuesday the port was inserted into my chest. The doctors and nurses were so fun. The surgeon even sang to me. He had a terrific voice. We got home around 2 p.m. and I went immediately to sleep. Mr. B wake me up so I would eat something. The port was somewhat uncomfortable at first. I think I just have to get used to something being in my chest.

Wednesday began with a Molecular Breast Imaging (MBI). It's a study I joined, which is a special scan to find breast cancer. "It uses a small amount of radioactive material that gives off energy, seen with a special camera, which makes images of the breast. In women with dense breasts (me) MBI is more accurate than mammography alone." This took about an hour. The only painful part was having the "pick" put in my hand to deliver the radioactive material. After the MBI was another breast biopsy to determine the exact cancer before I began the chemo. This is another study that I'm participating in so researchers can better determine how to treat the triple-negative, invasive type of cancer I have. This was painful because my breast wasn't fully deadened. After a second application of deadening medication, it was much better. This took about another hour. Next I visited with on oncologist for a pep talk. About 30 minutes. Finally I had my first chemo treatment. It was the treatment that I most feared, but there was nothing to it. I had five vials of medicines put through the port in my chest. Every once in a while I would feel something cool or taste salt, but other than that it was painless. While receiving chemo I was brought lunch, juices and water. I watched television, napped, and got visits from volunteers offering me scarves and caps. This took about 2.5 hours). When I got home (thanks KS for being my driver yesterday) I went to sleep. Mr. B and Dr. Mc made me eat something before I went back to bed around 8 p.m. Around 1 a.m. I woke up with a headache and nausea. I took medicine, drank water and propped myself up until I was feeling better. No vomiting, for which I'm thankful.

Today I'm celebrating flowers. I'm pretty sure my neighbor Sandra left some lilies and natural soap on the front porch yesterday. Thanks, my friend.

3 comments:

  1. sending love and supportive thoughts, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, you have made great progress this week... When you really think, it is amazing.

    Your port will not be a bother, it becomes just another part of your body especially after a few more days of healing. Don't worry that it will slip out of place if you roll over at night... It will follow your every move. I promise.

    Now, for some more advise from your noisy neighbor... Wherever you typically sit or sleep, keep your anti nausea meds in a little saucer, a pretty one. At the FIRST signs of your stomach is turning over, pop the pill. It is important that the medicine is at hand. Also, when I had chemo, I also kept Tums handy when n the same dish for heartburn.

    Onward dear girl!

    ReplyDelete