Thursday, February 2, 2017

It's Cancer - Eight hours at MDA

I won't go into all the delays that occurred yesterday, except to say that when MDA announced in December 2016 that the hospital was going to have a staff reduction, which would not impact patient care, I predicted that wait times would increase. And I was correct. (If only I had such luck predicting lottery numbers.) Technically, waiting longer doesn't impact "patient care." I still receive the same great care at MDA whether I have to wait 15 minutes or two hours.

My blood work from yesterday was about the same as last week. Both my white cell count (indicates infection) and red cell count (indicates anemia) were low. I came home with antibiotics for five-days, as well as steroids for seven days to help with those problems. I already receive a steroid injection each week before chemo begins, which has caused my blood sugar level to be slightly elevated. To help with my glucose level I need to watch my sugar intake and eat low carb meals and snacks. Although these healthy changes to my diet are ones I should permanently make ... what devastating news to receive four days before the Super Bowl. After all, I already gave up alcohol.

Today I'm celebrating neighbor Sandra who provided my ride to MDA yesterday. She and husband, Charlie, were recently in Santa Fe. They drove by Pettita Casita and sent photos. They also brought me a milagro, which are traditionally used for healing purposes in Mexico and Latin America. Grandes vecinos (English translation = great neighbors)!


No comments:

Post a Comment