Friday, September 16, 2016

It's Cancer - Round one with doctors

I'm talking to two different groups about my breast cancer. The first are doctors at the Memorial/Hermann Cancer Center: a surgeon, oncologist and radiologist. Next week I'm going to M.D. Anderson Cancer Center to meet with a similar group for a second opinion.

Yesterday I met with a surgeon at Memorial/Hermann who examined me, reviewed my imaging results and discussed options. The complete diagnosis is that I have stage 2 "invasive, high-grade ductal carcinoma." The large tumor is located in my left breast and it doesn't appear to have spread to my lymph nodes. I have two options: (1) lumpectomy or (2) removal of my left breast. If I choose a lumpectomy, I would probably have chemo first to shrink the size of the tumor, then surgery followed by radiation. Chemo would be five days-a-week for six weeks. (Dr. Mc and I are already discussing wig options.) Right now, I don't like the mastectomy option because the lump is large and too close to my heart.

Today I'm celebrating family and friends who have sent love and support. All of your messages have touched and inspired me. Thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment