Thursday, September 22, 2016

It's Cancer - The plan revealed

When the #1 cancer center in the country is located in my hometown, it would be silly for me to seek treatment at another hospital. My only concern about MDA is that I would be just another "number", but I was treated very well yesterday. I was shown lots of respect and compassion.

My treatment will begin on Wednesday, Sept. 28 with blood work and an echocardiogram. Next, on Friday, Sept. 30, I have an appointment with the oncologist who will oversee my chemo. I think I will get a "port" place in my chest then. (The port is where the chemo will be delivered and will be removed when the treatment is finished.) Chemo will be every other week for four to six months, depending on how my tumor responds. Other parts of the plan include surgery to remove the tumor (one month after chemo is completed) and radiation (a month or so after the surgery). No adult beverages or mani/pedis during chemo. Bummer dudette.

Today I'm celebrating Thursday night football. Go Texans!

4 comments:

  1. I have known several people who have been treated at MDA and not a single one has expressed that they were treated like a number. I think you will find caring people there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good you are moving forward and are starting to visualize the process - that helps! Cancer treatment is taken "one bite at a time", but gratefully you know there is a beginning , a middle and the end when you will RING THE BELL! Keep that tune "You are the champion, you are the champion" when you go in for your "healing serum" (chemo) treatment. Julie, you can do this, dear girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm following your advice to smile whenever I walk into an appointment. It's working!

    ReplyDelete