Wednesday, September 21, 2016

It's Cancer - A day at MD Anderson

I was at MD Anderson at 7 a.m. to begin imaging and consultations this morning. It was an eight-hour day that filled my head with a second opinion and a different treatment plan. Sometimes I only hear "cancer" blah blah, "cancer" blah blah blah during these visits so I'm grateful than Melissa was with me today.

Both Memorial Hermann and MDAnderson are suggesting chemo first. Memorial Hermann says five days-a-week for six weeks. MDA suggests one day-a-week for six months. MDA thinks my body will handle this timeline better and it will give the doctors more time to determine if "cocktail a" is working or if they need to switch to "cocktail b." Both suggest surgery after the chemo followed by radiation. Memorial Hermann says radiation would be five days-a-week for four weeks. MDA suggests radiation every day for 20 days. I like Memorial Hermann because it is more convenient, but the family likes MDA because it is one of the top cancer center in the U.S.

Today I'm celebrating my bestie Melissa. It takes a special friend to stay with me and take notes during an eight-hour hospital visit and doctors' consultations! Love you, Mitzie!

1 comment: