Monday, July 17, 2017

It's Cancer - Radiation #9

While checking in for radiation today, it was announced in the reception area that one of the machines was "down" and, as a result, the appointments were running behind. A man nearby joked, "I have a pocket knife. I'll fix it." Everyone in the lobby laughed. I immediately thought about my daddy, who had a very dry sense of humor and great comedic timing. Daddy would have made a funny comment like that.

Not only was that a comment like my father would have made, but he could fix anything, many times with the small knife he always carried in his pocket. I don't know how many times he fixed things for me with his pocket knife. When the lovely McCarley sisters had loose teeth, he would tease them by saying he would remove their teeth with his little knife.

Today I'm celebrating the positive attitude I learned from my daddy, who always looked for the good in life. Lately I've been tired and sometimes I struggle to keep going. Today on the way to MDA I honestly thought about telling my oncology team that I'm done. Done with radiation. Done with treatments. Done with procedures. Done with having my breast exposed to people I don't know. Then, when the man in the radiation lobby joked about fixing the machine with his pocket knife, I took it as a sign. From heaven my daddy was reminding me to stay positive and keep moving forward. Thanks for the nudge, Poppy. I needed that kick in the pants. Your timing is still great, as is your ability to fix all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment