Thursday, October 1, 2015

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Besides skin cancer, breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among American women. In 2015, it's estimated that just under 30% of newly diagnosed cancers in women will be breast cancers.

My family has a much higher rate of skin cancer than breast. A cousin of my mom's is a breast cancer survivor of 30-35 years. She is the only family member I can think of who has had breast cancer. On the other hand, just about everybody in the family has some form of either pre-cancer or full-blown skin cancer. After my older brother died of melanoma I was dedicated to getting my skin checked once a year. Then my dermatologist moved to Katy and I haven't found another one. Shame on me.

Today I'm celebrating feeling better. I think I had a sinus infection, but it's better.

No comments:

Post a Comment