Sunday, October 18, 2015

Marcus Rothkowitz

What a beautiful day in Houston. It should be this way all week. I love it.

Mr. B and I, along with two friends, had brunch this morning at Menil Bistro. We tried to have dinner there once, but it was too crowded. Today, the crowd was small for brunch and the food was good. Both of us said we would go there again, although the Bellini wasn't that terrific (not frozen and served in a martini glass).

Today I'm celebrating the artistry of Mark Rothko, who was born Marcus Rothkowitz. (Although he began painting in mid-1920s, he didn't legally change his name to Mark Rothko until 1959.) We went to the Museum of Fine Arts/Houston after brunch to see the Rothko exhibit. I enjoyed seeing his earlier figurative works, which are quite different from his later abstract expressionism. I don't think I really appreciated his later work until I stood in front of it and studied the colors and brush strokes. It's not possible to see the details in a photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment