Friday, May 13, 2016

The area I live in, referred to as the Houston Heights, was once an incorporated city four miles outside of the City of Houston. Houston Heights was voted “dry” on September 15, 1912. In a 1937, the Texas Supreme Court ruled that the Houston Heights would remain dry despite the end of prohibition and the 1918 annexation by the City of Houston, which was a “wet” area. Today, the City of Houston continues to enforce the dry area based on this court ruling. 

The only way to repeal this prohibition is by vote of the residents within the boundaries of the original Houston Heights. Although this seems like an overwhelming (and should I say unnecessary) task, a group of people are bringing it up again and trying to open a liquor in the dry area.

Today I'm celebrating my ability to buy wine, beer and alcohol within a mile in any direction from my house, and have a cocktail at almost all of the restaurants in the area. In a city without zoning, I'd hate to have a liquor store at the end of my block, and that would certainly be an option if the 1912 prohibition is repealed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment