Tuesday, December 13, 2016

It's Cancer - Chemo decision made

We had a great family discussion last night about my chemo options, not to mention delicious chili made by Big-Daddy Nick. Separately we came to the same decision: I should follow the experimental treatment that would be administered every three weeks and better target my cancer. But that all changed this morning.

I got a call from my oncologist this morning and we had a long discussion. She had spoken with my surgeon before speaking to me. After listening to what I had to say, she felt that the clinical researcher who talked to me last Friday, as well as the clinical nurse I spoke to yesterday, didn't do a good job explaining the possibility of an infection. Since my cancer is in my left breast, just above my heart, both doctors felt that I might be at risk of infecting my heart, which could have serious and long-lasting complications. It was their recommendation that I receive Taxol, which is the standard-of-care, weekly for 12-weeks chemo treatment. I agree. The last thing I want is to kick breast cancer, but be left with heart problems.

Today I'm celebrating moving forward with the knowledge that I'll be receiving the best possible treatment for my breast cancer. I feel good!


4 comments:

  1. and your friends are behind you 100%. love love love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, it is hard to say you are "lucky" when the subject is cancer. But, you are. The options were thoroughly consider and your oncologist and surgeon stepped in to give you the crucial piece of your puzzle. So happy you now have a clear path to the treatment and final cure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a great support team and a terrific set of doctors. For these, I am lucky!

      Delete