Friday, April 21, 2017

It's Cancer - Post-surgery update

I think it was the night before surgery that the battery on my laptop died. So far I haven't been able to get to the Apple Store so I'm using my iPad. This morning I remembered the password to my blog account so I can post, but I haven't figured out how to move the image to the top of the page.

My surgery was 10 days ago. Even though the surgery was successful, since then I've been feeling pretty lousy. I'm swollen and sore across my chest from one armpit to the other. I have stitches on my chest below and on both breasts, as well as more stitches on my right chest (near my collar bone) where my port was removed, and more stitches on my left chest near my armpit where lymph nodes were removed. "Draining tubes" were inserted on the side of each breast. Poor Mr. B had to empty and clean the tubes twice a day. Fortunately the drains were removed on Monday (ouch). As the swelling goes down I'll feel less pressure in my chest. Right now it feels like there is a 100-pound weight on my chest. I'm trying to remain calm until my swelling is gone and the massive amount of stitches fall out. Probably by the first of June I'll start radiation, which I'll receive five days a week for five or six weeks.

Today I'm celebrating what I hope will be a speedy recovery. In baseball terms, I feel I've passed second base (surgery) and am heading for third base (radiation). Soon I'll round third base and head for home plate (cancer free). Go team!


No comments:

Post a Comment